We offer the Axel sliding door hardware system in three standard lengths, 70”, 94”, and 116”. All of these lengths come with mounting holes pre-drilled and will work for most installations. However, sometimes a door opening lands between sizes and the door travel needs to be modified. No problem. Simply order the next length up and customize your Axel sliding door track for the desired door travel. This is a very easy modification to do in the field with common tools. All you will need are:
- A drill ⅜” drill bit for metal
- Lubricant (optional)
- Masking or painter’s tape
- A small block of wood
Using these tools, perform the following steps:
1. Order your Axel sliding door hardware system in the next size up
If you find your door opening is in between standard Axel track lengths, simply order the next size up.
2. Install your Axel sliding door hardware system
Complete installation of the Axel sliding door hardware system by following each step in the included instructions.
3. Determine and mark desired door travel
a. Move the door panel to the desired fully open position.
b. Tape track with masking or painter’s tape.
c. Mark the tape 9/16” from the trolley bracket as shown.
4. Slide door panel to fully closed position as shown
5. Drill new hole
Drill a hole in the track where you marked. To protect your wall and your drill, use the following precautions:
- --Protect your wall by taping a piece of paper to the wall and a wood block behind the track as shown.
--Prolong the life of your drill bit by using some kind of lubricant. It will keep the bit cool and make drilling easier. While Rapid Tap is our preferred lubricant, WD40, motor oil, or Vaseline work as well.
6. Remove door stop on fully open side of track and retighten track attachment
a. Remove track attachment lag bolt and door stop.
b. Take door stop off track attachment lag bolt.
- --Careful, at this point there is nothing to stop the door from rolling off this side of the track.
7. Fasten door stop to new hole with the blind doorstop kit provided
You have now successfully modified your Axel sliding door hardware system’s door travel.
--For especially high use installations, please contact our technical sales team before making this alteration so they can review your plans.